Fw: Re: DAML+OIL submission to W3C (copyright/patent)

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 10/17/01

Hi:

I got the following back on our submission.

Unfortunately, I think that I will have to pass this by Lucent's lawyers,
as I have already had communication with Lucent's lawyers concering W3C and
IP.  They may want to go with different language.

Those of you who have IP in the submission should look over this message
and see whether what you can do.  You might want to look at

	http://www.w3.org/Submission/2001/09/

for a different IP position.

peter

attached mail follows:

I'm sorry that this is taking so long, but I finally
managed to get the relevant legal text and clarification
on a few policies...

We've got three constraints we need the DAML+OIL
submission to meet:

(1) Our policy is that tech reports use namespace
names of the form http://www.w3.org/YYYY/...
cf
  http://www.w3.org/1999/10/nsuri

I looked into whether this policy applies to submissions,
and it does.

So please change the namespace to

	http://www.w3.org/2001/10/daml+oil

(2) we need more explicit copyright license terms.

I suggest that you ammend the submission request
to include the following text, substituting
each of the authors for [party]:

  [party] hereby grants to the W3C, a perpetual,
  nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right and license under any
  [party] copyrights in this contribution to copy, publish and
  distribute the contribution, as well as a right and license of the
  same scope to any derivative works prepared by the W3C and based on,
  or incorporating all or part of the contribution. [Member Company]
  further agrees that any derivative works of this contribution prepared
  by the W3C shall be solely owned by the W3C.

(3) we need assurance that noone will seek patent royalties.

I suggest you ammend the submission request
to say that this license is offered by each of the authors:

  Suggested W3C Royalty-Free Patent License Declaration
  http://www.w3.org/2001/09/rf-license.html

p.s. feel free to forward this to joint-committe@daml.org

office: tel:+1-913-491-0501
mobile: mailto:connolly+pager@w3.org