Re: Fw: Re: DAML+OIL submission to W3C (copyright/patent)

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 10/20/01

Jim Hendler wrote:

> Dan-
>   Does this

By "this" I assume you mean

|I'm not sure I could release my contribution to the public
|domain; it's not my personal property; it belongs
|to MIT (or maybe to DARPA; I'm not sure).
 -- DanC, Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:38:08 -0500

> mean W3C people cannot participate in any open source
> efforts??

No.

Open source and public domain are very different.
Public domain means releasing copyright altogether.
In open source development, contributors retain
their copyright, but they grant a very liberal license.

>  I propose we simply consider DAML+OIL as if it was open
> source.

What do you mean by that, exactly? i.e. in legal
terms? Have you reviewed the legal terms that I suggested[1]?

How are they different from considering "DAML+OIL
as if it was open source"?

That legal text took a long time to get. Please just
use it.

>  I don't see what IP we want to claim -- any tools developed
> by any of us remain our own.  The language is something I don't see
> any of us owning/licensing.

The text of the specification of the language is something
that we own copyrights in, unless/until we sign them away.
[I think. IANAL]

>   Officially, by the way, DARPA's policy is to leave our PIs owning
> their own IP, govt gets a perpetual, royalty free license (It's in
> the contract your organization signed when they accepted the money).

Hmm... I wonder how I can get a look at that.

> Patents and etc. go back to your organization if requested, this is
> Federal law as I recall.
>   In this case, I'm simply wondering what IP anyone thinks they want
> to keep in this thing -- if we were talking about the tool kit or
> etc, it would be different.

Frankly, I'm not qualified to "think" about this IP stuff.
If the text I gave is acceptable, please accept it. If it's
not, this could take much, much longer.

>   -JH

[1] hey! what happened to our archive?
  how come it's not in there?