Re: Fw: Re: DAML+OIL submission to W3C (copyright/patent)

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 10/22/01

>(2) we need more explicit copyright license terms.
>
>I suggest that you ammend the submission request
>to include the following text, substituting
>each of the authors for [party]:
>
>   [party] hereby grants to the W3C, a perpetual,
>   nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right and license under any
>   [party] copyrights in this contribution to copy, publish and
>   distribute the contribution, as well as a right and license of the
>   same scope to any derivative works prepared by the W3C and based on,
>   or incorporating all or part of the contribution. [Member Company]
>   further agrees that any derivative works of this contribution prepared
>   by the W3C shall be solely owned by the W3C.

After reading the recent discussions surrounding the W3C position on
patent policy, I would suggest that this entire matter be put on hold
until the RAND licencing terms have been clarified. I for one am not
willing to give up any rights of ownership or licence (as opposed to
copy, distribute, publish) to an organization  which could become,
even if it is not at present, merely a licencing agency for the
software (or any other) industry.

Perhaps the wording could be adjusted so as to explicitly refer to
the RF/RAND distinction, and to ensure that DAML+OIL is locked into
the RF category?

Pat Hayes
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax