Re: DAML+OIL submission to W3C (copyright/patent)

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 10/18/01

IANADL (or any other kind of lawyer, assuming that there are any other
kinds), but I think that we will have to do at least the following:

1/ Change editors to authors in the documents, and thus to deny authorship
   to those not on the author list.  Does anyone want to be added to the
   author list for any of the documents?

2/ Add the data files as appendices to some document, so that they can be
   covered under the copyright for the document.  I suggest daml+oil.daml
   gets added to the reference manual and that daml+oil-ex*.* get added to
   the walkthrough.

3/ Get copyright releases from all authors.  If you want to be an author, I
   will need a copyright release from you.

4/ Get an IP statement from Lucent.

5/ Get IP statements from any other organization that feels that they need
   to be added.  (I'm willing to go ahead with just the Lucent one.)

I think that this covers it.  Does anyone have any additions?  Is there any
chance that something less onerous would work?

peter