my notes from today's 11/16/04 JC telecon

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 11/16/04

    % notes from JC telecon 11/16/04
    % by Benjamin Grosof

    participants:
    Mike Dean
    Ian Horrocks
    Peter Patel-Schneider
    Benjamin Grosof
    Sandro Hawke
    Harold Boley

    ISWC-2004 conference reports by various people

    at main:
    Marie-Christine Rousset argued for limited DL expressiveness to enable
       efficiency on web scale

    at Rules workshop:
    Alun Preece on extending SWRL with constraints, is related to SWRL FOL.
    Christine Golbreich gave invited talk about SWRL uses.

    %%%%

    discussion on sameAs and differentFrom in the SWRL XML syntax
    (see Mike's agenda message):

    yes, let's make it exactly two arguments for each of these

    %%%%

    discussion on list builtin's taking as arguments:  i-objects vs. d-objects,
    including variables  (see Mike's agenda message):

    consensus:
    This is an issue that's thorny for RDF and OWL, and thus for
    SWRL.  It's treated in OWL-Full but not OWL-DL.

    We should back off of including our list builtin's for now, and list this as
    an issue for future work.

    Ideas of alternative approaches:
    1. ask Pat Hayes et al. how this is handled in KIF/SCL.
    2. axiomatize in rules [Peter]
    3. look at theory of how Prolog handles this

    %%%%

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof