Re: technical detail feedback on OWL Rules: truth value for empty consequent

From: pat hayes (phayes@ihmc.us)
Date: 11/04/03

    >Hi folks,
    >TimBL pointed out today that if the rule consequent in OWL Rules is
    >a conjunction of zero or more class atoms,
    >then when empty (i.e., zero case) it should logically be True, not
    >False, since an empty conjunction is True.

    There seems to be little utility in having the consequent being a
    conjunction. I tend to think of the logical form of a rule as being a
    clause, so that the antecedent is a conjunction but the consequent is
    naturally a disjunction. Hence the appeal of Horn clauses, of course.

    >I'm not sure what we want to do about this.  The floor is open...

    Remove the condition that a consequent is a conjunction. Its never a
    conjunction, except as syntactic sugar for a conjunction of rules
    each with a singleton-disjunction consequent.

    Pat

    >Benjamin

    >Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    >Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting,
    >Rules, XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    >MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    >http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof

    IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
    FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell