Re: DRAFT: List of Built-ins

From: Benjamin Grosof ([email protected])
Date: 05/28/03

    Hi Said, Sandro, and all:
    I agree with most of Sandro's comments -- right on.

    I strongly suggest we sharply distinguish
    (1) purely informational sensing built-ins
    versus
    (2) other kinds of procedural attachments that we might consider invoking
    as "built-ins".

    In particular, assignment, I/O writing, and the control/debugging
    operations do not belong in (1).
    Moreover, assignment and the control/debugging operations should not be
    treated as procedural attachments to be
    invoked from within the rule language (at least not in any initial version
    of our semantic web rules language / RuleML).
    I/O writing is OK as an effecting built-in.

    I suggest more built-ins be added for mathematical operations.  In
    particular, logarithm (probably in different flavors for log base 2, log
    base e, and log base 10) and exponential (again, with flavors for different
    bases) and the usual trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.)
    are pretty crucial.

    Benjamin

    At 11:44 AM 5/28/2003 -0400, Sandro Hawke wrote:

    > > As promised, please find, attached, the list of built-ins. This is a
    > > draft, a new version will be available next week with much more details.
    >
    >Understood; feel free to answer my questions in that new version
    >instead of e-mail, if that works better.
    >
    >General question: how do you propose to organize built-ins in terms of
    >input vs. output vs. bi-directional parameters?  EG addition and
    >subtraction can be the same predicate:
    >     sum(3,4,7)   true if 3+4=7
    >     sum(3,4,?x)  binds ?x to 7 if unbound
    >     sum(3,?y,7)  binds ?y to 4 if unbound
    >This is a little odd for addition, but I guess it's common in Prolog
    >for list-append.
    >
    > > 3. More Built-ins:
    > > ----------------
    > >       3.1     Assign                  =
    >
    >What does this mean in a KR language, where it doesn't make sense to
    >talk about changing the value of something?
    >
    > >       3.2     Increment               ++
    > >       3.3     Decrement               --
    >
    >Ditto, unless you just mean +1 and -1.
    >
    > >       3.4     Power                   **
    > >       3.5     Abs (absolute value)
    > >       3.6     Min
    > >       3.7     Max
    > >
    > > 4. Data Types
    > > --------------
    > >       Our approach is to integrate XML Part 2, Data Types:
    > >       http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/
    >
    >What kind of built-ins does that give you?  For example, the datatype
    >"duration" [1] represents a length of time via a 6-tuple of <year,
    >month, day, hour, minute, second>.   It has an ordering, and the
    >following "constraining facets":
    >     * pattern
    >     * enumeration
    >     * whiteSpace
    >     * maxInclusive
    >     * maxExclusive
    >     * minInclusive
    >     * minExclusive
    >
    >So what built-ins does that suggest we should have associated with the
    >xsd:duration type?
    >
    > > 5. String built-ins:
    > > -----------------
    > >       5.1     str-length      returns the length of a given string in
    > charact
    > > ers
    > >       5.2     str-cat         string concatenation
    > >       5.3     str-compare     compares 2 strings
    > >       5.4     str-index               returns the position of the first
    > argum
    > > ent within the =
    > > second argument
    > >       5.5     is-String               returns TRUE if the argument is a
    > strin
    > > g, FALSE =
    > > otherwise
    > >       5.6     sub-string      returns a substring from a string
    > argument give
    > > n two =
    > > 1-based indices
    > >       5.7     str-upcase      returns the given string argument in
    > Uppercase
    > >       5.8     str-lowcase     retrns the given string argument in lowercase

> [...]

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof