followup from telecon (integration of XML and RDF)

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 11/20/01

Hi:

I have placed (effective as of 7pm EST today) a draft (I don't have the
submission verion, I'll try to get it tomorrow) of the paper that I alluded
to at

	http://www-db.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/paper.ps

This is a temporary placement and a temporary version.

The basic idea is to provide a model theory compatible with (most of) RDF
and (almost all of) XML.  The model theory is unusual in that it
relationships are unnamed, so it looks more like XML trees than RDF graphs,
although it is, of course a graph.

As mentioned in the paper the model theory misses the following parts of
RDF:

1/ Attributes in the second basis abbreviation, as they cannot be
   distinguished from properties of the property.

2/ parsetype, as this is not good XML.  (parsetype=literal is not needed,
   in any case, here.)

The basic processing is as follows:

1/ Perform XML processing (and validation) to result in the XML Query Data
Model.

2/ Use the data model as the source for the data model mappings.

peter