Re: DAML+OIL Expressivity Question

From: Ian Horrocks (horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk)
Date: 11/12/01

On November 12, Graham Klyne writes:
> As one who relatively recently became aware of description logics, I found
> that a very useful, readable paper.  Thanks for that.  I think it deserves
> wider awareness outside this community.
>
> (It has seemed to me that relatively few of the papers that deal with
> description logics are available online.  I have been unable to get hold of
> some that were suggested to me, such as past ICCS proceedings.  Has anyone
> yet written a textbook on description logics?)

A description logic handbook has just been completed and is about to
go to press. Should be available second quarter of next year. There is
lots of good information in there on DLs, but unfortunately there wont
be much at the "tips on how to use the damn thing" level. For this we
desperately need an updated version of the Classic paper. Deb and I
volunteered to do it, but it is hard to find the time to do it with
everything else that is going on at the moment. We are still trying
though :-).

Regards, Ian