Re: Validating daml+oil-ex.daml

From: Jeff Heflin (heflin@cse.lehigh.edu)
Date: 11/01/01

Frank,

I agree that you should be able to refer to classes before they are
defined (as long as they are defined somewhere in the file), but I have
strong misgivings about being able to refer to undefined classes. In my
opinion, an ontology is supposed to provide two things: a standard
vocabulary and formal definitions for that vocabulary. If you allow the
use of undefined classes, you defeat the purpose of a standard
vocabulary. This will also have very serious side effects in practical
usage of the ontology. It means that any time somebody makes a typo,
they've just created a new class. Is that really the way we want the
Semantic Web to work?

As Mike said in an earlier message, I think we need to strike a balance
between database-style integrity constraints and inference
opportunities.
I think the way to address the problem is to consider the tradeoffs. In
this case, the reference of undefined classes opens up a door for simple
typos to result in misuse of the ontology. And what do we really gain
from this? A shorthand way for creating classes that have no semantics?
I think this is a case where the integrity constraints approach makes
more sense. That is, I believe if you reference a class (or a property)
in a particular namespace, that class (or property) MUST be defined in
that namespace! Otherwise, your reference is in error.

Note, that this does not mean that I come down on the side of
"database-style integrity constraints" in every case. As I said before,
I think a case-by-case cost/benefit analysis needs to be done.

Jeff