Coordination points between RDF(S) and DAML+OIL

From: Frank van Harmelen (Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl)
Date: 07/11/01

Dan, Brian,

As you know, DAML+OIL is built on top of RDF/RDF Schema.  Now that the
RDF Core Working Group has started its activities, the "joint committee"
who has designed DAML+OIL has written a document that describes which
areas of RDF and RDF Schema need attention based on our experiences with
defining DAML+OIL as an extension of RDF Schema. We present the document
to the RDF Core WG as input for your activities.

You can find the document at
http://www.daml.org/2001/07/RDFS-DAML+OIL-coordination.html

We hope you will find this material useful input to the RDF Core WG.
This is a public document, so feel free to distribute it inside and/or
outside the RDF Core WG, as you see fit.

On behalf of the "joint committee for DAML+OIL",

Frank van Harmelen.
                 ----
Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl              http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh
Department of AI, Faculty of Sciences,  Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
de Boelelaan 1081a, 1081HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel (+31)-20-444 7731 fax&voicemail (+31)-84-8722806

--------

Abstract:

This document describes which areas of RDF and RDF Schema need attention
based on our experiences with defining DAML+OIL as an extension of RDF
Schema. It is input from the DAML+OIL Joint Committee to the RDF Core
working group.

Contents:

    what does DAML+OIL depend on from RDF(S)
        RDF triple structure
        RDF Schema constructions
    what does DAML+OIL not use at all
        reification
        containers
        meta-classes
    what changes does DAML+OIL require in RDF(S)
        multiple domains with intersection semantics
        multiple ranges with intersection semantics
        cycles in subclass- and subproperty-hierarchies
    what areas of RDF(S) problematic
        syntax
        normalisation
        datatypes