Re: equivalentTo / sameClassAs / sameIndividualAs puzzle

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 07/12/01

>thinking about the
>out, by talking

>thing that are

> > >Aha! That's it. From reading the spec, it wasn't entirely clear to me
> > >what DAML+OIL terms individuals. The schema definition suggests its a
> > >synonym for 'thing':
> > >
> > >	<Property rdf:ID="sameIndividualAs">
> > >	<rdfs:label>sameIndividualAs</rdfs:label>
> > >	<rdfs:comment>
> > >	for sameIndividualAs(a, b), read a is the same individual as b.
> > >	  </rdfs:comment>
> > >	<rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="#equivalentTo"/>
> > >	<rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Thing"/>
> > >	<rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Thing"/>
> > >	</Property>
> > >
> > >Could someone explain to me which things precisely are considered
> > >individuals? I gather properties and classes are out of the
> > >picture. Any others?
> >
> > My understanding is that 'individual' is synonymous with 'DAML+OIL
> > object' and simply means anything in the semantic domain. The use of
> > 'individual' for anything in the domain of quantification is a
> > familiar convention in logic, but maybe it needs to be spelled out
> > for a wider audience.
>
>I don't believe this is quite correct. As far as I am concerned, the
>denotation of an individual is an object in the domain of discourse,
>and there is nothing to prevent two individuals from denoting the same
>object (this is what sameIndividualAs asserts).

So you are using 'individual' to refer to a *syntactic* entity, ie a
name of some kind? That is a very unusual usage, but we can go that
way if people want to. However we then probably should rename
'sameIndividualAs' to 'sameObjectAs', since there would be little
point in asserting it only of the same name used twice.

Pat

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)