DAML+OIL and FIPA

From: Frank van Harmelen (Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl)
Date: 04/24/01

Dear joint-everybody (Cc Tim Finin),

A while ago we briefly talked about the relation (if any) between DAML+OIL and whatever FIPA might define as their recommended ontology language.

Things have been moving on the FIPA side. Attached is a document that proposes a plan for the FIPA work on ontologies.

I was pleased to see that they take DAML+OIL seriously, and regard the language as a significant input to their own work. This will no doubt be related to the fact that Tim Finin (member of the DAML programme at Maryland) is one of the co-authors of the document.

I suggest that we ask Tim to be a liason between the FIPA activities and DAML+OIL.

Frank.
   ----