Re: ASSERTION, QUESTION, SUGGESTION

From: Deborah McGuinness (dlm@ksl.stanford.edu)
Date: 04/04/02

Thanks for the input.  I think it is interesting and worth
reprioritizing some of our work to address this issue.
As someone who has been in KR for the last 20 years, one of the reasons
that I find DAML/OWL/OIL/Semantic Web so fascinating and exciting is
that I feel like we have finally found the needs and interest from
industry that is pulling KR out of the ivory towers and asking it to
help solve important critical path business issues.
I view things such as the w3c webont working group formation as a sign
of starting to win and also view the concrete interest jim points out of
hits to the daml site as starting to win.
I also view the explosion of interest in ontologies as starting to win.

I agree with David, Joe, etc. that we as a community are not meeting the
documentation and education needs of the potential users.  And with my
business/marketing hat on, I would add that our window of opportunity is
NOW to do this and in fact if we do not do it soon, we will loose the
interest of the representative masses.  If they come to our sites and
cant find out why to use our stuff, they won't have time to come back
and they won't be able to make the case to their colleagues and bosses
as to why to use our work over sticking with what they know.

I (and many KR people) have seen this before.  I found in our
experiences pushing description logics out into the real world with
deployed applications that the most important thing we could do was
provide examples, tutorials, walkthroughs, testimonials, working demos,
etc   and that was much more important than adding another expressive
construct to the language and also more important for use than providing
elegant academic papers.

We might take this discussion thread as a call to action to:
1) develop the elevator pitch guha suggested (DAML adds critical things
to the broadly used XML)
2) develop a few simple examples of daml in action (that people might
use as a template for their own quick prototypes)
3) try to answer the hard questions jim brought up
4) get some documentation that people can use along the lines of the
david martin/guha/rockmore suggestions.

Deborah

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness