Joint Committee Minutes 3 April 2001

This page summarizes the telecon for the Joint US/EU Committee on Agent Markup Languages held from 1300 to 1400 PDT on 3 April 2001. These minutes were prepared by the chairman, and were approved during the 10 April telecon.



DAML+OIL (March 2001) was released last week.

There's a new DAML Upcoming Events page listing upcoming meetings, workshops, etc.

Last Week's Minutes

The minutes from March 27 were approved by those present.

W3C Semantic Web Working Groups

Jim Hendler reported on recent news about the Semantic Web Activity Working Groups.

Jim has joined the Semantic Web Activity Coordination Group (which also includes Eric Miller, Dan Brickley, Brian McBride, Jim Hendler, Dan Connolly, and Ralph Swick). This group has initially focused on getting the RDF Core Working Group going, but is now turning attention to the proposed Web Ontology Working Group.

The RDF Core Call for Participation (CFP) is out. The group is expected to officially start the week of April 16.

For WebOnt, it's expected that a pre-CFP Indicator of Interest message will be sent to Advisory Council members before WWW 10 (May 1-5) A draft charter is being circulated. The CFP could be as early as mid-May, with a kickoff meeting in early summer (perhaps in conjunction with the Semantic Web Workshop or IJCAI). Jim and Deb McGuinness have volunteered to chair the WG; Ora Lassila will be the editor. Peter and Pat Hayes expressed interest in participating (1 day/week time commitment and ~3 F2F meetings over ~12 months).

There are no definite plans for what happens to the Joint Committee when WebOnt begins. This may depend in part on the composition of WebOnt -- Jim wants some new voices and industrial member participation. We'll at least continue to work hard on interesting issues until WebOnt gets up to speed.

DAML+OIL (March 2001)

Our announcement spawned quite a bit of discussion on

Dan Connolly discussed his message regarding numerals. At our March 6 telecon, Peter had introduced a change to the semantics eliminating the requirement to tag data type values. Essentially, the value is a set, which is a singleton except for literals.

We discussed Jonathan Borden's message regarding XML Schema namespaces. ACTION (Mike): remove the # from daml+oil-ex-dt.xsd. Mike also noted that daml+oil-ex-dt.xsd is unreferenced from daml+oil-ex.daml, since we decided not to address user-defined data types in the DAML+OIL (March 2001) release. A statement to this effect should be added to the reference and/or walkthru.

Messages in this thread expressed discomfort with the disjointness of object classes and data types except for unconstrained properties. ACTION (Frank): add some sort of "this is yucky, but the best we currently know how to do" disclaimer to the walkthru and/or reference, as previously planned.

We discussed constructing a "feedback questionnaire" as a companion to the release identifying areas where there was disagreement or concern. Items identified for this list included [see also Frank's list]:

ACTION (Mike): draft such a document.

Messages in this thread focused on differences between data modelling and KR. ACTION (Pat): add several paragraphs early in reference.html discussing these differences.

Our current materials and examples focus on creating ontologies rather than instances. Stefan volunteered to work on more instance examples. Jim is also working on a pathological example.

Next Week

ACTION (everyone): review the recent messages on tagging from Jim and Jeff.

Upcoming Weeks

Stefan suggested that we consider some form of "DAML+OIL Lite" that doesn't require use of a DL reasoner.


last week's minutes
Joint Committee home page

$Id: 2001-04-03.html,v 1.6 2001/04/10 21:45:48 mdean Exp $