Re: SWRL builtinAtom/List inconsistency

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 11/15/04

    Hi all,

    At 05:42 AM 11/15/2004 -0500, Mike Dean wrote:
    >While implementing the SWRL builtins for Jena 2, we discovered an
    >inconsistency in SWRL [1].
    >
    >The builtIn atom is defined as
    >
    >   builtIn '(' builtinId { d-object } ')'
    >
    >but the List builtins [2] require the use of i-vars (rather than d-vars) to
    >access rdf:List instances.
    >
    >I don't have a ready fix in mind.

    A couple of thoughts:

    1. what was the design rationale for why the List builtins currently
    require use of i- ?

    2. perhaps we should define another kind of list that has d- members or
    that mixes i- with d- members?

    Benjamin

    >         Mike
    >
    >[1] http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/
    >
    >[2] http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/builtins.html#8.7

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof