some SCL background info

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ihmc.us)
Date: 06/08/04

    The SCL group email archive is at

    http://philebus.tamu.edu/pipermail/scl/

    Murray Altheim's old XCL proposal.

    http://www.altheim.com/specs/xcl/1.0/

    See http://philebus.tamu.edu/pipermail/scl/2003-May/000129.html for
    background. Interesting more for the XML 'style' issues than for the
    actual details of the SCL syntax, which are broken here.

    Tanel Tammet's 'challenge' version called ECL.

    http://sise.ttu.ee/it/elm/

    This differs from the present SCL largely in treating the nondenoting
    case lexically instead of syntactically.  ECL led to a considerable
    simplification to the previous SCL semantics. I hope that SCL and ECL
    will soon become one proposal:

    John Sowa's 'controlled English' proposal, which I hope to work into
    the SCL idea as one of the dialects:

    http://www.jfsowa.com/clce/specs.htm

    CL (= SCL) has been proposed and adopted as an ISO New Work Item, see

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/clprop.htm

    There is also a rather thorough OMG metamodel for the SCL core
    syntax, written by David Franklin and Elisa Kendall (consulting with
    Deb) but I seem to have lost my archived copy of this as part of the
    general cockup caused by switching to a new computer. I will get
    another copy and post it to the list soon.

    Finally, the main CL website is at http://cl.tamu.edu/

    Pat

    IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
    FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell