notes from today's JC telecon

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 02/03/04

    % notes from JC telecon 2/3/04
    % by Benjamin Grosof

    participants:
    Mike Dean
    Benjamin Grosof
    Harold Boley
    Sandro Hawke
    Pat Hayes (joined midway)
    Peter Patel-Schneider (joined midway)

    o wrt planning for W3C Technical Plenary in early March:
    there's a draft agenda for SW IG (renamed RDF IG),
    could talk to Eric Miller,
    they will have lightning talks,
    Dan Brickley is doing the agenda since he runs that IG

    o idea:  maybe org a BOF at WWW

    o check out new SemWebCentral

    o SWRL builtins list document

    Mike:
    should have our own namespace, not just rely on XQuery's, then
    use XQuery naming selectively

    Benj and consensus:
    yes

    Mike:
    issue:  in name strings:  capitalization convention vs. hyphens

    Benj:
    have an intro section in prose,
    about concepts, uses, overview;
    talk about binding patterns/modes as part of this

    Mike:
    maybe also logarithms and other math functions

    Sandro:
    would be nice to give a table of how our list compares
    to ISO Prolog, XQuery, XSchema, etc.

    Pat:
    would be nice for readers' sake to point out clear correspondences
    when they exist

    Benj:
    also have a section on extensibility mechanism and
    library;
    but what's our story about that, our proposed process
    to manage future evolution -- e.g. in open source
    - Mike:  let future W3C WG tackle defining those
    - Harold:  it goes beyond rules, other parts of SW may want to use as well
       . Benj:  yes
       . Sandro:  probably RDF Data Access too

    Harold:
    we should organize the builtins formally into a hierarchy,
    e.g., based on the XML data types hierarchy

    Benj:
    do we want names for the partitions

    Mike:
    could be tedious

    Pat:
    could just define classes

    Benj:
    yes, separate the taxonomy from the naming;
    permits overlaps between classes too

    Sandro:
    seems process-wise that we could give our list to RDF Data Access WG,
    then defer to their decision making process wrt finalization

    another issue wrt doing that:  will the RDF Data Access WG tackle binding
    patterns/modes the way we would want

    Benj:
    also issue of divergence later:  we'll eventually want side-effectful
    builtins as well

    %%%%%%%%

    future agenda:

    let's hear from Drew McDermott about DRS -- FOL in RDF

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof