Re: notes from today's JC telecon 12/2/03

From: Graham Klyne (gk@ninebynine.org)
Date: 12/03/03

    At 17:31 02/12/03 -0500, Benjamin Grosof wrote:
    >relevant paper to read for next week:
    >paper by Ian Horrocks et al on datatype groups
    >from ISWC-2003, is on Ian's webpage

    FWIW, I've implemented two approaches to incorporating datatypes into RDF
    inference processes.  The software is not yet documented or released (but
    will be soon, I hope).  Some notes are at [1].
    - one is based on ideas from Ian's paper.  All test cases from [1] have
    been passed (except that I take a different approach to cardinality
    constraints).
    - the other is based on adding a "variable binding modifier" to
    conventional Horn-like rule.

    So far, my intuition is that Ian's GeneralRestriction class approach
    integrates more smoothly with general RDF -- the datatypes can be built
    into the software, and accessed/used within the RDF syntactic
    framework.  I've yet to see how this plays out in a real application.

    #g
    --

    [1] http://www.ninebynine.org/RDFNotes/RDF-Datatype-inference.html

    Graham Klyne