Re: notes from 11/11/03 JC telecon on Rules and preparing W3 Note

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 11/12/03

    Hi Harold (and all),
    Who's planning to actually do the edits about this variable naming -- will
    it be you?
    Benjamin

    At 06:57 PM 11/12/2003 +0100, Harold Boley wrote:
    >Hi Benjamin,
    >

    > > o variable naming:  string/literal vs. a local URI
    > >
    > > currently in RuleML syntax is a string/literal,
    > > we can keep that in the short term for the XML version
    > >
    > > disadvantage in RDF view:  don't want to declare a literal
    > > to be a variable for the entire Web universe
    > >
    > > local URI is local to a document, e.g., rulebase
    > >
    > > Harold:  can view it as defining a separate alphabet of variable names,
    > > local to a document
    > >
    > > this requires a change to the working draft of the OWL RuleML document
    >

    >The XML version's <swrlx:var>x1</swrlx:var> etc. was fine.
    >The RDF version's <owlr:argument1 rdf:resource="#x1"/>, referring to
    ><owlr:Variable rdf:ID="x1"/>, was accepted for the time being, e.g.,
    >because of the below-mentioned possibility for confusion.
    >
    >"Local URIs" used for implicitly universally quantified rule variables
    >should actually be local to every single rule of a rulebase, to reflect
    >the (narrow) scope of logic variables.
    >
    >Today's RuleML SC telecon will also talk about this.
    >

    >BTW, I updated Section 6. Mapping to RDF Graphs
    >(http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/rdfsyntax.html),
    >and now hand it back to Ian, Peter, and Mike.
    >

    >TBD:
    >

    >We should discuss the correspondence between the XML and RDF syntax.
    >
    >We should explain that, e.g., <owlr:Variable rdf:ID="x1"/>
    >is not to be confused with a "global variable declaration"
    >in programming languages, where types and initializations could be added:
    >it just declares that "x1 is in the alphabet of variables".
    >
    >We could explain why the other ('literal') option was not chosen,
    >at least for the time being.
    >
    >We could show an actual RDF *Graph*.
    >
    >We could try to show how *any* rule can be mapped this way.
    >

    >Best,
    >Harold

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof