Re: notes from 11/11/03 JC telecon on Rules and preparing W3 Note

From: Ian Horrocks (horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk)
Date: 11/12/03

    On November 12, Harold Boley writes:
    > Hi Benjamin,
    >

    > > o variable naming:  string/literal vs. a local URI
    > >
    > > currently in RuleML syntax is a string/literal,
    > > we can keep that in the short term for the XML version
    > >
    > > disadvantage in RDF view:  don't want to declare a literal
    > > to be a variable for the entire Web universe
    > >
    > > local URI is local to a document, e.g., rulebase
    > >
    > > Harold:  can view it as defining a separate alphabet of variable names,
    > > local to a document
    > >
    > > this requires a change to the working draft of the OWL RuleML document
    >

    > The XML version's <swrlx:var>x1</swrlx:var> etc. was fine.
    > The RDF version's <owlr:argument1 rdf:resource="#x1"/>, referring to
    > <owlr:Variable rdf:ID="x1"/>, was accepted for the time being, e.g.,
    > because of the below-mentioned possibility for confusion.
    >
    > "Local URIs" used for implicitly universally quantified rule variables
    > should actually be local to every single rule of a rulebase, to reflect
    > the (narrow) scope of logic variables.
    >
    > Today's RuleML SC telecon will also talk about this.
    >

    > BTW, I updated Section 6. Mapping to RDF Graphs
    > (http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/rdfsyntax.html),
    > and now hand it back to Ian, Peter, and Mike.

    The new section 6 has magically acquired the status of a W3C candidate
    rec! Also, the change hasn't propagated to the combined HTML file.

    > TBD:
    >

    > We should discuss the correspondence between the XML and RDF syntax.

    It is pretty obvious, and we already mention the style sheet - I would
    say that is enough at this stage.

    > We should explain that, e.g., <owlr:Variable rdf:ID="x1"/>
    > is not to be confused with a "global variable declaration"
    > in programming languages, where types and initializations could be added:
    > it just declares that "x1 is in the alphabet of variables".

    Sure, why not.

    > We could explain why the other ('literal') option was not chosen,
    > at least for the time being.

    I do NOT believe that we should start explaining why we didn't do
    things in other ways.

    > We could show an actual RDF *Graph*.

    Why? Not worth it!

    > We could try to show how *any* rule can be mapped this way.

    We might state it, although it is pretty obvious (we have a XSLT
    translation from XML to RDF). Attempting some sort of proof does not
    seem necessary (at least not for this document).

    Ian