RDF lists and rules

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 08/05/03

    [1] is the example I mentioned on today's telecon that uses
    N3 rules [2] to expand RDF/OWL data represented using RDF
    lists, transformating an ordered list of subway stations
    into adjacency relations among consecutive pairs.

    As an aside, I think use of rules to perform such expansions
    will become common.  A recent example I've been working with
    is to derive broadcast channel instances from a description
    of the containing radio frequency band, e.g. given

      <FrequencyBand rdf:ID="TV7_13">
        <low>174</low>
        <high>216</high>
        <channelPrefix>TV</channelPrefix>
        <channelWidth>6</channelWidth>
        <minChannelNumber>7</minChannelNumber>
      </FrequencyBand>

    generate

      <Channel rdf:ID="TV7">
        <band rdf:resource="#TV7_13"/>
        <number>7</number>
        <frequency>174</frequency>
        <width>6</width>
      </Channel>

      <Channel rdf:ID="TV13">
        <band rdf:resource="#TV7_13"/>
        <number>13</number>
        <frequency>210</frequency>
        <width>6</width>
      </Channel>

    Initially, the expansion above will probably be done using
    procedural code, but accommodating such expansion would be a
    nice "stretch goal" for rules.

    	Mike

    [1] http://www.daml.org/2003/05/subway/

    [2] http://www.daml.org/2003/05/subway/expand.n3