Re: extended inference use case

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 02/04/03

    At 03:11 PM 2/4/2003 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
    >>I think we want to include something like this, although it
    >>would probably be better as part of a larger Web Services or
    >>other application use case.
    >>
    >>   OWL places some limitations on expressivity to retain
    >>   tractability.  A frequently cited limitation is "property
    >>   chaining", the ability to express constraints among
    >>   multiple properties.  We can augment an OWL ontology with
    >>   additional inference rules.
    >>
    >>   Several examples:
    >>
    >>     2 siblings have the same father, i.e.
    >>
    >>       sibling(S1, S2)
    >>       father(S1, F)
    >>       =>
    >>       father(S2, F)
    >
    >Thats a dangerous rule if left to itself:
    >
    >father(S2, F)
    >=>
    >father(S1,F)
    >=>
    >father(S2,F)
    >=>.....

    not too bad -- just need an engine to stop chaining off of conclusions it's
    already drawn -- a typical engine feature in commercial
    implementations.

    >>     a Debtor is a Person whose (cumulative) liabilities
    >>     exceed his (cumulative) assets
    >
    >That requires some arithmetic integrated into the rule-firing, right?
    >Obviously handy, but probably requires a lot of extra machinery.

    some but not a huge amount.  again, it's a typical practical engine feature
    in commercial implementations.

    Benjamin

    >Pat
    >

    >--
    >IHMC                                    (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
    >40 South Alcaniz St.                    (850)202 4416   office
    >Pensacola                               (850)202 4440   fax
    >FL 32501                                        (850)291 0667    cell
    >phayes@ai.uwf.edu                 http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes
    >s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof