Re: DAML+OIL submitted to W3C

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 12/18/01

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 17:28, Mike Dean wrote:
> > With thanks to Peter and all the folks that did
> > all the detailed work to get this to happen,
> > I bring to your attention...
> >
> > "DAML+OIL Web Ontology Language
>
> What a nice holiday present!  Thanks for the good news!
>
> > http://www.w3.org/Submission/2001/12/
>
> Is this the final URL, or will it later move to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/...?

that's the final address of the submission request, yes;
As I said, the tech reports themselves are...

>   title: DAML+OIL (March 2001) reference description
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-daml+oil-reference-20011218
>
>   title: A Model-Theoretic Semantics for DAML+OIL (March 2001)
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-daml+oil-model-20011218
>
>   title: An Axiomatic Semantics for RDF, RDF-S, and DAML+OIL (March
2001)
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-daml+oil-axioms-20011218
>
>   title: Annotated DAML+OIL Ontology Markup
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-daml+oil-walkthru-20011218/

> > One noteable technical side-effect of republication
> > is a new namespace name.
>
> I'm concerned that this will unnecessarily confuse users and
> tools.  Did I miss this point earlier?

Perhaps. It was one of a blizzard of details...

>  Why is a new
> namespace needed?

It's one of our publication requirements; part of our
commitment to persistence.
cf http://www.w3.org/1999/10/nsuri

We're looking at relaxing the constraint... allowing
other domains, provided the domain holder has signed
  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Persistence
but I didn't want to hold up this submission while
we worked all that out. It took long enough as it is...