Re: new model theory for DAML+OIL

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 10/11/01

I think that this is getting close to a solution.  However, I have come up
with a small collection of examples that we might think of handling.  I
enclose them and their ``status''.

peter

		Datatyping Examples

Here are some datatyping examples, written in an XML-like sytax.  I think
that these examples should be handled by any datatype extension to RDFS.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research

Untyped example:

   The following should be satisfiable:

	<Person rdf:ID="Mary">
	  <streetAddress>05</streetAddress>
	</Person>

   Its models should include models where Mary's streetAddress is an integer
   and others where Mary's streetAddress is a string.

	STATUS:  Not OK?

Typing through local type names:

   The following should be satisfiable:

	<Person rdf:ID="Mary">
	  <streetAddress xsi:type="xsd:string">05</streetAddress>
	  <age xsi:type="xsd:integer">06</age>
	</Person>

   Its models should all have Mary's age be the integer 6, and Mary's
   street address be the string "05".

	STATUS:  OK, via local type decoration.

Non-typing through local type names:

   The following should be satisfiable:

	<Person rdf:ID="Mary">
	  <streetAddress xsi:type="xsd:anyType">05</streetAddress>
	</Person>

   Its models should include models where Mary's streetAddress is an integer
   and others where Mary's streetAddress is a string.

	STATUS:  Not OK.  Need types that don't pin down mapping.

Typing through direct range restriction:

  The following should be satisfiable:

	<Person rdf:ID="Mary">
	  <age>06</age>
	</Person>

	<rdf:Property rdf:ID="age">
	  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />
	</rdf:Property>

   Its models should all have Mary's age be the integer 6.

	STATUS:  Probably OK?  Can type decorations be obtained here?

Typing through inherited range restriction:

  The following should be satisfiable:

	<Person rdf:ID="Mary">
	  <age>06</age>
	</Person>

	<rdf:Property rdf:ID="intrelation">
	  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />
	</rdf:Property>

	<rdf:Property rdf:ID="age">
	  <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="intrelation" />
	</rdf:Property>

   Its models should all have Mary's age be the integer 6.

	STATUS:  Probably OK?

Inconsistent typing:

   The following should be allowed but unsatisfiable:

	<Person rdf:ID="Mary">
	  <streetAddress>05</streetAddress>
	</Person>

	<rdf:Property rdf:ID="streetAddress">
	  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />
	</rdf:Property>

	<rdf:Property rdf:ID="streetAddress">
	  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:string" />
	</rdf:Property>

	STATUS:  OK, through disjointness of integers and strings.

Typing from XML Schema:

   The following should be allowed:

	<xsd:element name="item">
	  <xsd:complexType>
	   <xsd:sequence>
	     <xsd:element name="quantity" type="xsd:integer">
	   </xsd:sequence>
	  </xsd:complexType>
	</xsd:element name="item">

	<item>
	  <quantity>1</quantity>
	</item>

  Its models should include only models where the item's quantity is the
  integer 1.

	STATUS:  OK, through type decoration from XML data model?