MIT support for Joint Committee

From: Eric Miller (em@w3.org)
Date: 09/03/01

>From
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:03:45 -0400
To: joint-committee@daml.org
From: Eric Miller <em@w3.org>
Subject: MIT support for Joint Committee
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>,
   dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, ralph swick <swick@w3.org>,
   Daniel Weitzner <djweitzner@w3.org>, lynn.stein@olin.edu,
   w3c-semweb-cg@w3.org

Joint Committee,

We want to clarify and reconfirm that the MIT W3C staff is indeed
interested in continuing to work with the informal US/EU ad hoc Joint
Committee in the future. The style of collaboration between research groups
that made possible the DAML+OIL convergence is precisely the sort of
pre-standardization community consensus building that helps the W3C
facilitate the next steps towards industry adoption.

Recent points raised in the Joint Committee teleconferences have apparently
raised questions on our view of the success achieved in the Joint Committee
work. Let us dispel any concern that the MIT W3C staff might be backing
away from supporting this kind of work. We very much encourage early work
toward consensus building that the Joint Committee and other DAML subgroups
have undertaken. An important part of the evaluation process that we ask
the W3C membership to consider when we propose new W3C Recommendation-track
working groups is the existing state of the art. W3C members evaluate
whether there exists sufficient design, deployment, and need prior to the
creation of a working group to ensure a high level of confidence in
industry adoption. This is the evaluation the W3C just re-presented to its
members last week for the proposed Web Ontology Working Group. The Joint
Committee work sets a solid foundation for the W3C Membership to consider
as they rank the priority of Web Ontology work with all the other W3C work
items to which they wish to allocate their resources.

It was simple for us to commit MIT resources to participate in the ontology
discussion within the ad hoc Joint Committee. We had already invested
substantial effort to produce strawman documents on the ontology layer as
the DAML program was beginning. It was very natural for Dan Connolly, with
help from Lynn Stein, Tim Berners-Lee, and others, to participate in the
Joint Committee until such time as the community felt ready to present
"completed" work to industry standards organizations such W3C.

As the Joint Committee moves forward and reconstitutes itself around other
layers of the DAML technology, we at MIT will be looking closely at how the
future plans of the "new" Joint Committee intersect with our own DAML
research goals. We expect to identify the individuals and the level of
participation that are appropriate to the new discussions as the group
coalesces around a new set of topics. The rules and query agenda now being
discussed for the new committee is certainly relevant to our own research
and advanced development. We fully expect to want to join in the
discussions in some role and bring our perspective on the options the group
will be considering from the point of view of leading the Web to its full
potential.

Regards,

Eric Miller,
W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead

Ralph R. Swick,
W3C Technology and Society Technical Director
W3C Semantic Web Advanced Development Lead