Re: subclass loops, proper subclasses and so on

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 08/30/01

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: Re: subclass loops, proper subclasses and so on
>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:25:39 -0700

> > >I don't see how this can be true.
> > >
> > >Suppose R is ``has a different ID than'',
> >
> > That is not an irreflexive relation on classes, since the same class
> > may have two distinct IDs (ie two IDs may denote the same class.)
>
>Ahh.  This depends on what you mean by ``class''.  If by ``class'' you
>indeed mean ``the extension in all models'' then fine.  If, however, a
>class is a node (in an RDF graph) or a name (in a description logic KB),
>then it makes sense to distinguish between the class and its extension.
>
>I believe that your model theory for RDF makes this distinction in the
>model theory itself.   A class is a resource.  The extension of two classes
>may be the same in all models.  (There is, of course, few or no ways to
>enforce this in RDF, but DAML+OIL can easily state that two classes have
>the same extension in all models.)

Yes, Ive been thinking about this. Indeed, the MT 'extensions' trick
does allow one to insist that classes (and properties) are always
uniquely named, since two distinct classes may have identical
extensions. In fact one could think of classes as being pairs of the
form <class extension, class ID>, and reconstruct the MT on that
basis, and it would produce the same truthvalues. So, I concede your
point. If I am going to sell a nonextensional model theory, I guess
that I have to stop relying on extensional intuitions.

Damn.

Pat

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)