Re: rule proto-proposal

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 06/11/01

>On June 5, Peter F. Patel-Schneider writes:
> > From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
> > Subject: Re: rule proto-proposal
> > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 19:38:34 +0200

>broader language
> > >
> > > Stefan replied (in an off-line email):

>semantics of the
> > >
> > > BIG DISAGREEMENT! I would expect DAML+OIL rules always to
>respect DAML+OIL semantics, ie: if S is some statement which I hold
>true, and R is a rule which I hold true, than the result of applying
>R to S is a conclusion which I must unavoidably regard as true.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't want DAML+OIL rules to be so flexible that authors
>could write rules for which the above didn't hold. If DAML+OIL rules
>would be "just" RDF transformation rules, authors could write such
>nonsensical (non-semantics respecting) rules.
> > >
> > > Stefan added:

> > > I think an RDF transformation rule and a DAML+OIL inference
>rule are two very different animals. We should be clear on which one
>we are breeding.
> > >
> > > Frank.
> > >    ----
> >
> > I agree with Frank on this issue.
>
>I would like to add my agreement to the record.
>
>Ian

This is a bit like trying to make peace in the middle east, but let
me suggest that it might help if we simply changed the terminology,
since "rules" means different things to different people. Lets call
what Stefan is proposing not a 'rule' language but a  transformation
language (TL) and lets call a language which extends the expressive
power of DAML while preserving the model theory an extended inference
language (EIL). Peter and Frank and Ian are most interested in an
EIL. Stefan thinks the world urgently needs a TL , and I think he is
right; and he also thinks that a useful EIL might be implemented as a
restricted form of a logic-based TL, killing two birds with one
stone, as it were; which I am less confident about but would be
delighted to see done if it could be done. But in any case, in the
short-to-medium term, it seems more useful to keep these two goals -
the EIL and the TL - as separate goals, and to develop them
independently, rather than arguing about which is best. They both
will have their uses, I am sure.

My original strawman, and Peter's, were both intended to be EILs.
They differ dramatically, so one of us must be wrong. Any technical
views on their relative merits?

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax