Re: rule proto-proposal

From: Stefan Decker (stefan@db.stanford.edu)
Date: 05/31/01

Pat,

At 07:29 PM 5/30/2001 -0500, pat hayes wrote:

>>>Stefan, according to you there is no such thing as the deductive closure
>>>of a set of RDF statements. You have said earlier in this thread that
>>>RDF triples have no logical interpretation, and in this message you say
>>>that RDF is a datastructuring language. Concepts like 'deductive
>>>closure' only apply to languages with a proof theory. What are the
>>>inference rules of RDF?
>>
>>I meant the deductive closure of the Facts + Rules. Sorry for the sloppiness.
>>RDF does not have inference rules, in the same way that a set of tuples has
>>no inference rules. Together with a rule language (e.g. SQL) I might have
>>inference
>>rules.
>
>Maybe we are still not following one another. As I understand your
>position, the rules themselves do not have a semantics (right?). So they
>are not *inference* rules, and it still seems to me not to make sense to
>speak of a deductive closure. In fact, if the RDF triples don't have a
>semantics (ie if RDF is a datastructuring language) then the triples are
>not even properly called 'facts'. A triple without any meaning assigned to
>it is just a datastructure, not a fact. It might be intended to represent
>a fact, or a picture, or a diagram, or a mathematical expression, or just
>about anything, or even nothing. Without a semantics, there is no way to tell.
The same is true for a database.
A tupel in a database may contain picture, or a diagram, or a mathematical
expression, or just about anything, or even nothing.
Still it makes sense to treat a tuple in a logical way.  Even it we regard
RDF as "just" a datastructuring language
it makes sense to process the data in a declarative way using rules - for
an example see

Correspondence and Translation for Heterogeneous Data, Serge Abiteboul,
Sophie Cluet, Tova Milo, ICDT,1997
ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/verso/VersoReport-102.ps.gz

>No, of course, but that is a different issue. You didn't say that you were
>storing *data about* a statemachine; you said you were storing the
>statemachine. That is what Melnik is doing, seems to me: he is using the
>'data' not as data at all, but as an encoding for something entirely
>different. Now, one can do that, of course. You CAN use predicate logic
>syntax to encode musical notation (use depth of function nesting for
>pitch, the constant at the bottom of the term for length of note, and
>clause ordering to indicate time-sequence) but if you do that, then you
>have no legitimate complaint if a Prolog interpreter fails to handle key
>shifts, say. The Prolog isnt meant to be used that way, and that way of
>using the notation does not conform to its declared semantics.
Prolog is a general purpose programming language (that's at least what the
prolog vendors say).
And I used prolog for large programming projects and can't complain.
And all prologs I used are able to handle key shifts - otherwise prolog
would not be usable for programing tasks.

>Similarly, if you take a relational assertion language and use it to
>encode finite-state transition diagrams, then you cannot complain if the
>rule processor fails to conform to the conventions of your idiosyncratic
>usage; and, more to the present point, the designer of the rule language
>is not obliged to consider such idiosyncratic uses. If people want to
>write arbitrary encodings with perfect freedom, then they should be
>writing code, not putting data  into datbases; and they can't expect to
>get interoperability.
The point is exactly allowing arbitrary encodings on a higher level of
abstraction
and still have declarative processing power.

However, can be go back to the topic of designing a useful rule language?
It seems to me that the difference between:
   1) "RDF is a datastructuing language and tripels should not be
interpreted as facts" and
   2) "RDF tripels are facts"
is more than esoteric. It seems obvious that triples can be regarded as
atoms in a logical language,
at least if I not misunderstood your proposal (see
http://www.daml.org/listarchive/joint-committee/0436.html)
that was also your suggestion.

Can we please focus more on designing a useful rule language?

Thanks,

         Stefan