Re: enhancing Unambiguous to be domain-dependent

From: Jim Hendler (jhendler@darpa.mil)
Date: 05/21/01

>  > Note that I am not commenting on whether or not DAML+OIL needs to
>  > provide this idiom directly.
>
>Yeah, that's a slippery slope.
>
>These days, I'm largely
>in favor of providing idioms like this directly;
>i.e. issuing names for things that we can already
>express other ways.
>

>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

Let me back the inclusion of an idiom for this -- the solution is
non-intuitive to those w/o DL background, but the ability is an
important one for people to know about when using DAML+OIL.  Although
we've often discussed the fact that we would expect people to deal
w/DAML+OIL via tools, I suspect for the next few years people (esp.
developers) will still be eyeballing the DAML itself (example, look
at the XML-SPY utility and its use in XML - lets people see the raw
XML in a structured-editor-like way.  Every DAML demo I've given to
an XML fan lately has included their pulling up our pages to "read"
the DAML using this tool or similar).  So asking a non logician to
understand

At 10:05 PM +0100 5/16/01, Ian Horrocks wrote:
><daml:Class rdf:about="#Thing">
>   <rdfs:subClassOf>
>     <daml:Restriction daml:maxCardinalityQ="1">
>       <daml:onProperty>
>         <daml:inverseOf rdf:resource="#surName"/>
>       </daml:onProperty>
>       <daml:hasClassQ rdf:resource="#Family"/>
>     </daml:Restriction>
>   </rdfs:subClassOf>
></daml:Class>

instead of

(Dan Connolly's - but w/names shortened to be commensurate w/Ian's)
><rdf:Description rdf:about="#colorName">
>         <rdf:type rdf:resource="#UniqueProperty"/>
>         <u:domain rdf:resource="#Color"/>
>         <u:label>color name</u:label>
>         <u:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="#label"/>
>     </rdf:Description>

seems to me to be a losing battle.
  -JH

Dr. James Hendler		jhendler@darpa.mil
Chief Scientist, DARPA/ISO	703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler