Re: enhancing Unambiguous to be domain-dependent

From: Ian Horrocks (horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk)
Date: 05/16/01

Dan,

DAML+OIL can express this already. e.g., for UniqueProperty:

<daml:Class rdf:about="#Family">
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <daml:Restriction daml:maxCardinality="1">
      <daml:onProperty rdf:resource="#surName"/>
    </daml:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
</daml:Class>

(i.e., every instance of Family has at most one name), and for
UnambiguousProperty:

<daml:Class rdf:about="#Thing">
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <daml:Restriction daml:maxCardinalityQ="1">
      <daml:onProperty>
        <daml:inverseOf rdf:resource="#surName"/>
      </daml:onProperty>
      <daml:hasClassQ rdf:resource="#Family"/>
    </daml:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
</daml:Class>

(i.e., every instance of Thing is the surName of at most 1 Family).

Please forgive any syntax errors (was going to try n3 but didn't have
time to check out the necessary details).

Note that I am not commenting on whether or not DAML+OIL needs to
provide this idiom directly.

Ian