Re: a recipie for ont:UnambiguousProperty, rdfs:isDefinedBy

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 05/16/01

Dan Connolly wrote:

> I took an action to explain how to use
> ont:UnambiguousProperty to make unique
> names, to see if this addresses the
> requirements that led Stefa to propose
> introducing the unique names assumption
> in DAML+OIL.
> http://www-db.stanford.edu/~stefan/damllayer.html

I also took an action to explain how
to use rdfs:isDefinedBy to connect classes
and properties to ontologies.

I thought I would end up showing that
isDefinedBy is very tedious to use,
but onProperty/hasValue allowed
me to make isDefinedBy connections
implicitly...

> So I made a little ontology of colors:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/05dun/colors.n3
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/05dun/colors.rdf
>
> containing, e.g.
>
> :red :colorName "red".
> :yellow :colorName "orange".
> :blue :colorName "blue".

it also contains...

:orange :colorID "orange".
:green :colorID "green".
:purple :colorID "purple".

where :colorID is defined/described ala...

:colorID u:label "color ID";
  u:subPropertyOf :colorName;
  u:domain :OfficialColor;
  u:comment """due to the domain, each thing with a colorID
  is an OfficialColor.""".

where...

:OfficialColor u:label "Official Color";
  u:comment """note the restriction on isDefined by; each
  OfficialColor is defined by this ontology.""";
  u:subClassOf [
    ont:onProperty u:isDefinedBy;
    ont:hasValue <colors>
  ].