Re: URIs on SIPRNET

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 04/25/01

Mike Dean wrote:
[...]
> I see a couple likely solutions:
>
> 1) Take steps now to get copies of critical www.w3.org,
> www.daml.org, and other pages available on these networks
> using their normal names (the home pages could clearly
> indicate that these are limited copies, so as not to
> confuse/worry anybody).
>
> 2) If that's not politically feasible, pre-load copies of
> these pages in cacheing proxies at user sites.  This is a
> much less scalable solution.

I don't see the difference between 1 and 2. It's
a caching proxy in either case, no?

> Am I missing anything?
>
> I don't think this is an insurmountable problem, but it will
> require some planning.

Why? just
	-- connect a machine to The Internet
	-- fill the cache (using, e.g. wwwoffle)
	-- disconnect it
	-- connect it to The Other Net
	-- tell folks to use this caching proxy if they
	want access to the relevant stuff from The Internet
	(they can set up .pac files to use this proxy
	only for certain domains, if they use netscape;
	I presume IE has analagous capabilities.)

That doesn't seem to require action/planning by anybody
but the folks in the DOD.

For everything I know about these .pac thingies, see
  http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2001/telagent/#ns-parse-bug
esp
  http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2001/telagent/tel.pac

For wwwoffle clues, see