N3/cwm on Windows

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 03/20/01

For anyone who hasn't tried them yet but intends to, I
thought I'd share my experience in running N3 and cwm under
Windows 2000 (it looks like Tim and Dan use Linux).  There
was a bit of trial and error involved.

I downloaded Python 1.6 (the version Tim at least started
with) from [1].

I downloaded the following pages into c:\daml\swap\ (my
choice of local directory):


I downloaded the python-xml 0.5.1-5 source (which Dan
references in XMLWriter.py) from [2] and unzipp'ed it into
\daml\swap\xml using WinZip 7.0 [3].

I ran a test.bat file like the following:

  rem $Id$

  set py=\python16

  set path=%py%;%path%
  set PYTHONHOME=%py%

  python cwm.py -help
  python cwm.py -rdf ../gedcom/mdean.daml -no -size

cwm.py gets an exception when it encounters RDF like

  <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
  <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
	   <!ENTITY rdf 'http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'>
           <!ENTITY a 'http://www.daml.org/2001/01/gedcom/gedcom#'>
	   <!ENTITY b 'http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil#'>
  <rdf:RDF xmlns:a="&a;"

which is produced by the RDF API serializer.  The
work-around is to manually substitute the values of the
entities, e.g.

  <rdf:RDF xmlns:a="http://www.daml.org/2001/01/gedcom/gedcom#"

I actually was able to do quite a bit with cwm.  In
particular, I wrote an XSLT stylesheet to generate N3 from
RuleML, and used it to apply [4] to my personal geneaology
(1741 Individuals and 668 Families).  This started with
16296 statements, and generated 399103 more.  I let it run
overnight, so I'm not sure how long it actually took.  I had
done similar work with XSB on the plane last Friday.


[1] http://www.python.org/1.6/download_win.html

[2] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/interpreters/python-xml_0.5.1.orig.tar.gz

[3] http://www.winzip.com

[4] http://www.daml.org/2001/01/gedcom/gedcom-relations.xml

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : 04/02/02 EST