Re: added diagrams to "Using XML Schema Data Types..."

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 02/07/01

It appears to me that Dan's proposal is to turn every property (that has a
datatype as its type) into two properties, one that maps into the string
and one that maps into the datum corresponding to the string.  (Maybe the
proposal is even to have multiple properties, one that maps into the
string, and one that maps into a datatype reading of that string, for every
possible datatype.)

I would be much happier with a solution that had a single property, namely
size, that mapped directly into a datatype.  I don't see any benefits from
having these multiple properties; only disadvantages.

Further, it appears to me that Dan's proposal breaks RDF in a very
significant fashion, requiring literals (or at least datatype values) to be
the source of properties.

Comments?

peter