Re: problems with DAML+OIL

From: Jeff Heflin (heflin@cs.umd.edu)
Date: 01/16/01

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> I agree with Jim that a good way to go is to have a language construct that
> asserts equality/inequality.

I thought this was what we were trying to do with equivalentTo. It was
supposed to state equivalence between any pair of resources, whether
they be ordinary individuals from our domain of discourse, classes, or
properties. I know that you believe equivalentTo has to be
semantics-free in the model theoretic semantics and I have yet to come
up with an alternative, but does this really mean there is no way we can
modify the semantics to reflect what seems like a relatively simple
notion?

Jeff