Re: Rules for restrictions

From: Ian Horrocks (horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk)
Date: 01/04/01

On January 4, Dan Connolly writes:
> er... huh? I'm not aware of any decision to get rid of
> daml:equivalentTo.
>
> It's there:
>
> 	<Property ID="equivalentTo">
>

> 	-- http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil.daml
> 	$Id: daml+oil.daml,v 1.2 2001/01/02 19:15:55 mdean Exp $
>
> Hmm.. it's not used in
>
> 	http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil-ex.daml
> nor mentioned in
> 	http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil-walkthru.html

equivalentTo is little used because we mostly use the more specific
sameClassAs and samePropertyAs properties, which are subPropertiesOf
equivalentTo and subClassOf/subPropertyOf respectively. As you know,
we did it this way because of the range and domain constraints on
subClassOf and subPropertyOf.

> and I don't see it in "Appendix One: List of all language elements"
> of http://www.daml.org/2000/12/reference.html
> $Revision: 1.1 $ of $Date: 2001/01/03 18:38:43 $
>
> So yes, it does seem to be slipping out. Frank, please put it back.
>

> > A problem I see in general is that DAML may be an authoring langauge, but
> > retrictions on what one can say about things in sepcific places may make it
> > dfficult to output general DAML.
> >
> > For example, if I know two things are equivalent i must check to see whether
> > they ar classes before tring to write it in DAML.
>
> Only if you want RDFS-only agents to grok.

Yes, you can still use equivalentTo, but you loose the RDFS
subClass/PropertyOf implication.

Ian