Re: URIs for primitive datatypes and facets?

From: Martin Gudgin (marting@develop.com)
Date: 12/15/00

[inline]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>; <joint-committee@daml.org>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 2:36 PM
Subject: URIs for primitive datatypes and facets?

> We're using RDF to build an ontology markup language,
> and we've come to the issue of concrete types,
> i.e. integers, strings, etc.
>
> We'd like to re-use the work done on XML Schema data
> types:
>

> =========
> excerpt from
> Joint Committee Minutes 7-8 December 2000
> http://www.daml.org/committee/minutes/2000-12-07.html
> http://www.daml.org/committee/minutes/2000-12-08-irc.txt
>
> [08:41] <DanC_DC> [[[[[
> [08:41] <DanC_DC> 3 Built-in datatypes
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>     3.1 Namespace considerations
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>     3.2 Primitive datatypes
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.1 string
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.2 boolean
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.3 float
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.4 double
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.5 decimal
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.6 timeDuration
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.7 recurringDuration
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.8 binary
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.9 uriReference
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.10 ID
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.11 IDREF
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.12 ENTITY
> [08:41] <DanC_DC>         3.2.13 QName
> [08:41] <DanC_DC> ]]]] -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/
> =========
>

> We just need URIs for each of the primitive
> data types, and each of the facets.

[MJG]

Data type    URI

string       http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#string
boolean      http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#boolean
float        http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#float
double       http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#double
decimal      http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#decimal
timeDuration http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#timeDuration

I think you get the idea.

> I expected to find them in the spec, but I can't.
> Am I missing something?
>
> I was following a relevant issue
> http://www.w3.org/2000/05/12-xmlschema-lcissues#URIs-for-datatypes
> and I see
> "Resolved: to resolve this issue by supplying IDs and stipulating what
> the URI should be."
>
> but I can't find the stipulation.

[MJG]

>From Appendix A of Part 2[1]

<documentation xml:lang="en">
      For each built-in datatype in this schema (both primitive and
      derived) can be uniquely addressed via a URI constructed
      as follows:
        1) the base URI is the URI of the XML Schema namespace
        2) the fragment identifier is an XPointer that identifies
        the name of the datatype, as an ID

      For example, to address the date datatype, the URI is:

        http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#xpointer(id("date"))

      Additionally, each facet definition element can be uniquely
      addressed via a URI constructed as follows:
        1) the base URI is the URI of the XML Schema namespace
        2) the fragment identifier is an XPointer that identifies
        the name of the facet, as an ID

      For example, to address the period facet, the URI is:

        http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#xpointer(id("period"))

      Additionally, each facet usage in a built-in datatype definition
      can be uniquely addressed via a URI constructed as follows:
        1) the base URI is the URI of the XML Schema namespace
        2) the fragment identifier is an XPointer that identifies
        the name of the datatype, followed by a period (".")
        followed by the name of the facet, as an ID

      For example, to address the usage of the period facet in
      the definition of date, the URI is:

        http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#xpointer(id("date.period"))

    </documentation>
  </annotation>

There is a problem with the facet example, there is nothing with an id of
date.period. I think it shoudl read date.duration

Hope this helps,

Gudge

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmlschema-2-20001024/#schema