Re: A DAML Spatial Ontology

From: Antony Galton (A.P.Galton@exeter.ac.uk)
Date: 03/10/03

    Jerry,

    A number of people working on space and time, particularly
    in reference to geographical processes, have advocated a
    four-dimensional ontology based on space-time chunks. I
    think there may be something to be said for this approach
    in some situations, particular when modelling complex
    phenomena that simultaneously manifest both object-like and
    process-like aspects, depending on how they are viewed
    (e.g., a hurricane can be tracked like a moving object in
    satellite images, but from the point of view of someone on
    the ground, in its path, it's more like an event - so it
    might be useful to have an underlying representation from
    which both these cases arise as different projection, as it
    were). In order to take this view of the phenomena, one
    presumably also needs an integrated 4D ontology of
    spatio-temporal locations - so alongside your two lists for
    Space and Time, there could be a third list, for
    Space-Time. (Some enthusiasts for this point of view would
    say that the third list should *replace* the first two, but
    more conservatively we might at least want it co-existing
    with them - though of course that also implies that we need
    to sort out the relationships between elements in the
    Space-Time list and corresponding elements in the other two
    lists ...)

    Anyway, just a thought. And more generally, I'm definitely
    interested in these issues and would therefore like to
    remain on the mailing list.

    Yours

    Antony

    Antony Galton
    School of Engineering and Computer Science
    University of Exeter