Re: second-order aint reflection

From: Dieter Fensel (dieter@cs.vu.nl)
Date: 10/16/00

At 10:56 AM 10/16/00 -0500, pat hayes wrote:
>Hi Deiter, thanks for the reply. One quick comment:
>
>>.... Actually we seem to agree in
>>the message of the paragraph. Many frameworks and applications
>>in knowledge engineering ask for a second-order "flavour" in
>>a sense that one has predicates over predicates (i.e., meta
>>classes). ....
>
>But the point of my message was to urge that predicates over predicates,
>ie second-order predicates -  are NOT meta classes, at least as 'meta' is
>understood in philosophical  logic, where it refers to descriptions of
>syntax rather than descriptions of predicates. Maybe this terminology has
>changed, or is used differently in some other community?
>
>Pat Hayes

Hi Pat,

Finally, I got your point. I do not think the terminology used by my
community is really different, it is just a bit more
sloppy. I think we still agree on the message of the paragraph that we
should look for the service of meta-classes
in OIL without being afraid to need second-order logic (because as you
pointed out this can be handled within
a first-order framework).

Doei,

Dieter

Dieter Fensel
Division of Mathematics & Computer Science,
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam,
De Boelelaan 1081a, 1081 HV Amsterdam, NL
The Netherlands
Room number U3.25.
Tel. (mobil): +31-(0)6-51850619,
Fax and Answering machine: +31-(0)20-872 27 22
Email: dieter@cs.vu.nl
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dieter
Privat: Liendenhof 64, NL-1108 HB Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Tel.: +31-(0)20-365 52 60.
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any