Re: second-order aint reflection

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 10/16/00

Hi Deiter, thanks for the reply. One quick comment:

>.... Actually we seem to agree in
>the message of the paragraph. Many frameworks and applications
>in knowledge engineering ask for a second-order "flavour" in
>a sense that one has predicates over predicates (i.e., meta
>classes). ....

But the point of my message was to urge that predicates over
predicates, ie second-order predicates -  are NOT meta classes, at
least as 'meta' is understood in philosophical  logic, where it
refers to descriptions of syntax rather than descriptions of
predicates. Maybe this terminology has changed, or is used
differently in some other community?

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax