Re: second-order aint reflection

From: Dieter Fensel (dieter@cs.vu.nl)
Date: 10/14/00

Hi Pat,

sorry for the delay in my answer (your email reached me
late and I was quit busy). Actually we seem to agree in
the message of the paragraph. Many frameworks and applications
in knowledge engineering ask for a second-order "flavour" in
a sense that one has predicates over predicates (i.e., meta
classes). In its full and naive expressiveness this would
amount to second-order logic. However, there are other techniques
(you also mention them, another example is Frame logic of Kiefer et al.
that syntactically enrich the first-order semantics of the
language) that provide such a syntactical construct
without leaving the framework of first-order semantics.

Using such mechanisms in a future version of OIL is
one of our goals. I agree with you that the paragraph you refer
is rather short and un-technical in the way it discuss this issue.

Thanks for very helpful input,

Dieter

At 05:08 PM 10/10/00 -0700, pat hayes wrote:
><This message has been sent to all authors of the paper, but I
>misspelt your email address so am resending it to you. -PH>
>
>------
>
>Greetings, authors of "An informal description of OIL...". Thanks for
>writing this very readable paper, but you make one serious error in
>the discussion towards the end, under the heading "heavy oil", when
>you identify second-order expressivity with reification. These are
>not the same thing, and it would be a pity to have this widespread
>confusion made even worse by its being given the considerable
>authority of your collective imprimateur.
>
>Second-order refers to a language which can quantify over properties
>and relations as well as the individuals to which those properties
>and relations apply. Reification refers to the ability of a langauge
>to describe its own syntax, ie as you correctly observe, with
>"statements of the language as objects". But statements are not the
>same kind of thing as properties and relations, and it is important
>to keep these distinctions clear. For example, you say that
>unification is undecideable in second-order logic. This is true in a
>second-order logic where the quantification over predicates and
>relations is understood to range over all mathematically expressible
>relations; the reason is that such a unification must allow for
>arbitrary amounts of lambda-conversion.  But the second-order
>quantifiers can be understood in other ways. If the quantifiers are
>understood to range over all mathematically possible relations, then
>theorem-hood is not even recursively enumerable, so no complete logic
>is possible; on the other hand, if it can be understood to range over
>only relations which are named in the language, then first-order
>unification is complete. But, to emphasise my main point, none of
>this interpretive variation is possible for reification, since the
>meaning of a quantifier ranging over all *expressions* is fixed by
>the syntax of the langauge itself.  Reification in itself does not
>require any kind of higher-order construction; after all, syntax
>consists of tree structures (there are some technical issues here, I
>know, if one wants the trees to be finite.) . But reification brings
>its own problems which are quite different; notably, being too
>generous with reification allows the language to become paradoxical,
>which is widely thought of as an undesirable trait in a logic. There
>is nothing paradoxical in second-order logic.
>
>This confusion may have arisen from the observation that what makes
>second-order unification difficult is lambda-conversion, and one can
>think of lambda-conversion as an operation on expressions. But it is
>important to keep clear the difference between an expression, on the
>one hand, and the relation or function denoted by that expression, on
>the other. Putting the latter into the semantics might force the
> [...]

Dieter Fensel
Division of Mathematics & Computer Science,
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam,
De Boelelaan 1081a, 1081 HV Amsterdam, NL
The Netherlands
Room number U3.25.
Tel. (mobil): +31-(0)6-51850619,
Fax and Answering machine: +31-(0)20-872 27 22
Email: dieter@cs.vu.nl
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dieter
Privat: Liendenhof 64, NL-1108 HB Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Tel.: +31-(0)20-365 52 60.
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any