Joint Committee Minutes 24 April 2001

This page summarizes the telecon for the Joint US/EU Committee on Agent Markup Languages held from 1300 to 1400 PDT on 24 April 2001. These minutes were prepared by the chairman, and were approved during the 8 May telecon.



See RDF Core Working Group below.

Last Week's Minutes

The minutes from April 17 were approved by those present.

RDF Core Working Group

The W3C RDF Core WG has formed and will have its first telecon on Friday. Members from the Joint Committee include The full member list is not public, but the email archives (including Introductions from most members) are.

Brian McBride is maintaining an RDF issues list. Mike will try to compare that with our list of RDF issues developed before the RDF Interest Group meeting and any subsequent additions.

Pat Hayes expressed an interest in joining the RDF Core WG as an invited expert. ACTION (Mike): Pass this along to the chairs.


Frank had sent a message regarding the proposed work plan for the FIPA ontology group.

We're pleased that DAML+OIL is being taken seriously by them. There was consensus that Tim Finin would be an excellent liaison between the DAML and FIPA groups.

DAML+OIL (March 2001) feedback / Rules

Pat and Ora noted that several groups are desperate for rules in DAML+OIL. They're basically willing to take anything and run with it, but aren't inclined to propose new mechanisms themselves. Property chaining (e.g. nephew relationship based on sibling and child) is an immediate priority. Horn clauses should be sufficient for now. The group at UWF is just defining an ontology, without an immediate need for a rule engine. ACTION (Mike): check with Benjamin Grosof for any new developments in RuleML (e.g. a possible W3C Rule Group coming out of the RDF Interest Group meeting).

Rules will add complexity. We may need to define rule superset of DAML subset. Pat noted that chaining and branching is what explodes the complexity. Deb noted that everyone focuses on worst case vs. average case complexity. Knowledgeable users of Classic learned how to stay away from the edge. However, it's generally an open research problem to compute average complexity.

Pat felt we "should give the world the languages it wants with warnings". ACTION (Pat): develop a strawman proposal for rules.

Deb suggested that we may want to involve Marie-Christine Rousset and Alon Levy, who have a lot of experience in marrying DLs with Horn clauses.

Frank noted that there was widespread dissatisfaction among EU folks regarding our emerging consensus last week that language subsets just be defined by guidelines. They want more precise levels. Pat commented that even guidelines must still be precise. There was an analogy of a document with paragraphs vs. libraries of documents.

Pat provided some walkthru feedback: it was not obvious to folks at UWF how to connect classes and properties. ACTION (Pat): summarize in email and/or supply new walkthru text.

Upcoming Weeks

We won't have a meeting next week, May 1, due to WWW 10. ACTION (Frank, Stefan, others): report out on WWW 10.

On May 8, we'll plan to review the strawman rules proposal from Pat.

On May 15 (if Dan is available), we'll plan to discuss daml:imports.


last week's minutes
Joint Committee home page

$Id: 2001-04-24.html,v 1.8 2001/05/29 14:14:58 mdean Exp $