RE: SWRL (FOL) n-ary relations

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ihmc.us)
Date: 01/18/05

    >[original qestion by MD]    Can we come
    >up with an n-ary representation that's significant simpler or
    >otherwise better than the unary/binary SWRL representation?
    >
    >[GW]    What do you mean with "significant simpler or otherwise better"?
    >The issue here is simply that "objectifying" a relation may be
    >unnatural and create some undesirable (and unnecessary) overhead
    >in the language.
    >
    >[PH]    What kind of overhead? Why would this create any overhead?
    >
    >[GW]    If you don't see the overhead, this simply shows that you don't
    >have much experience with coding practical appplications.

    The phrase could be referring to extra complexity
    in the logical encoding, or to computational
    overhead in any of various kinds of processing
    engine. These are not the same, and in some cases
    may be opposed to one another.  In particular, a
    'conceptual' overhead can in some cases yield a
    computational improvement (the restrictions
    needed for DL conformance are one example.) I
    would have liked to had the intended meaning
    clarified.

    To make the particular point more forcibly,
    Common Logic allows one to write a relation name
    as an individual, and to quantify over names in
    relation position: the model theory objectifies
    all named relations for free, as it were. Now,
    what overhead do you see this as introducing?

    >Or you may
    >be in the position of an assembler programmer who doesn't want to see
    >the unnatural overhead of coding a while loop with a jump/goto
    >statement.

    I have been at various times at several different
    such positions. My general conclusion is that
    terms like 'unnatural' have no fixed or objective
    meaning, but simply indicate an implicit
    reference to some unspoken background bias or
    cultural assumptions made by the author. It is
    often useful to have these made explicit wherever
    possible.

    >[GW]    In foundational ontology, one makes a distinction between formal
    >and material relations (both of which would be represented with the help
    >of predicates).
    >
    >[PH]    ?Does one, indeed? That seems to depend a lot of which one one
    >happens to be. Is there any philosophical, mathematical or practical reason
    >for making such a distinction?
    >
    >[GW]    Roughly, this distinction corresponds to the practical distinction
    >between predefined and user-defined properties/functions/relations in
    >computational formalisms.

    Wow. I really would like to see this analogy
    defended in a serious publication.  For the
    present I will simply register my extreme
    cynicism regarding any such analogy, and a
    rejection of the 'formal/material' contrast. If
    this contrast really were basic or important,
    then formal relational logics would be surely
    have needed to have reinvent it: but they have
    not found any such need.

    >So, yes there is a practical reason for making
    >this conceptual distinction.

    There might be if that analogy made sense.

    >A philosophical reason for it may be the
    >desire to explain why some relations (such as those used in mathematics)
    >have an extensional semantics and others have an intensional semantics.

    I do not know of any linguistic or philosophical
    justification for claiming that some relations
    are intensional while others are extensional.
    (Note, there are reasonable debates about whether
    relations should be construed as intensional or
    extensional: but those refer to relations in
    general. What I find implausible is the idea that
    both kinds are necessary.)

    >What methodology or basic theory is used
    >to justify making distinctions like this? And what does this particular
    >distinction even mean?
    >     [Later.  I have now read some papers on the subject. The definition
    >appears to be purely circular: a relation is
    >'formal' if it is an extension which
    >applies directly, and is 'material' if it is an
    >individual with a relational extension.
    >End of story.
    >
    >[GW]    It's not quite that simple,
    >unfortunately. Most people have some intuitive
    >understanding of what is a formal relation because they know orderings and
    >other relations from mathematics.

    Perhaps I did not make myself sufficiently clear.
    I do not accept any distinction between 'formal'
    relations and other kinds of relations (in fact
    between any kinds of relation) . Your discussion
    seems to presuppose this meaningless distinction.

    >An attempt to characterize the difference between
    >those formal relations and other relations

    There are no such differences.

    >  (between individuals that have a "history")
    >is to point out that (instances of) these
    >material relations hold between their relata
    >because there is an individual (such as an event
    >or a process) that affects the
    >history of (and that existentially depends on) these relata.

    Again, I find this entire discussion to be
    profoundly confused. Of course there are material
    entities which have a history, and are distinct
    from nonmaterial entities such as numbers.
    However, none of that requires us to distinguish
    two kinds of relation. In fact, the contrary:if
    one makes the temporal structure and dependencies
    explicit, as will in fact be required in any
    practical ontology, then all relations become
    timeless. The resulting simplicity has been
    rediscovered many times: by McCarthy in the
    situation calculus, by Kripke in his
    possible-world modal semantics and the associated
    modal-to-FOL translation scheme, and by linguists
    studying tense and case grammars. It ought by now
    to be part of the standard stock-in-trade of any
    working ontologist. It can be summed up in a
    slogan: if you think that you need more than one
    kind of relation, look to the things that the
    relation holds between. Make distinctions there,
    and classify kinds of thing rather than kinds of
    relations. A standard error is to think that
    because a word is used to refer in NL, that what
    it refers to must be a basic or primitive
    individual.  For temporally embedded 'things',
    this is almost always a mistake. The logically
    primitive things in examples like yours are not
    people, but people-at-a-time. People last for a
    while and change their properties: they are
    complex entities. The 'conceptual' atoms
    suggested by informal usage are usually not the
    best logical atoms to try to build an ontology
    out of.

    >This is the case for
    >relations such as "Person buys Product from
    >Vendor" or "Person kisses Person",
    >while it is not the case for relations such as
    >"Point1 is between Point2 and Point3"

    How about if Point2 is defined in a spatial
    reference frame which is attached to a moving
    vehicle? Perhaps you do not accept such things as
    truly points; but they can be points in the
    topological sense. And if you reject these as
    points then you seem to be assuming a global
    spatial reference frame, which has been known to
    be physically meaningless since Einstein stated
    special relativity.

    >or "Person is taller than Person" (the latter is
    >a relation between the individual
    >heights of two persons, being qualities in the underlying "conceptual space"
    >according to the theory of Peter Gärdenfors presented in his book "Conceptual
    >Spaces: the Geometry of Thought", 2000).

    Regarding the last example, I think you are
    confusing 'person is taller than person' (where
    the 'person's refer to continuants) with 'the
    height of person is greater than the height of
    person', interpreted at a moment in time.

    However, thanks for clarifying which of the
    various possible philosophical theories you are
    taking for granted. I take it then that you are
    proposing to base the world's ontology standards
    on the work of Gardenfors?

    >...; and the elaborate but misguided ideas
    >emerging from the Leipzig institute do
    >not stand up to even a moment's close analysis; ...
    >
    >[GW]   Note that there are two "Leipzig
    >institutes" (that have arised from a schism)
    >and that I was referring to the work of Heinrich Herre and others on what they
    >call "General Formal Ontology (GFO)" and "General Ontological Language (GOL)".
    >Please don't confuse this with "BFO" as proposed by others and Smith, whose
    >work is less profound.

    Thanks for clarifying that interesting piece of
    academic politics: I had wondered why Barry had
    left the place so soon after going there with
    such fanfare (I was visiting Buffalo when he was
    shortly to depart for Leipzig).  However, it was
    the GFO and GOL that I was referring to, in fact.
    I have separate disagreements with Barry's
    ontological views, and you and I may well agree
    on those.

    >What would be the basis for rejecting a claim
    >that *any* relation defines a relator universal?
    >
    >[GW]    A relator universal is an intensional
    >concept, while formal/mathematical relations
    >are extensional.

    First, I do not accept that this is meaningful;
    but even if it were, it does not answer the
    question: for I could rationally claim that any
    relation, even a merely extensional relation,
    defined an intensional relation (of which it was
    the extension). This would be consistent with a
    philosophical position to the effect that all
    relations ultimately resided in thoughts, for
    example, along with a rejection of simple
    mathematical Platonism. It is also the position
    built into the Common Logic and RDF formal
    semantics, by the way.

    >... you have no right to prevent me treating your 'formal' relations
    >as 'material' relations: unless, that is, you
    >want to claim that this is a *logical*
    >distinction.
    >
    >[GW]    No, of course, the distinction between
    >formal and material relations is not a
    >logical one. Most of the conceptual distinctions
    >we make in order to understand the
    >real world and to construct working computational systems are not logical!

    Quite. And since they are not, there is
    reasonable scope for rational people to disagree
    about them. Which is why any generally acceptable
    ontological framework cannot be based on any of
    them. Certainly I personally will resist any
    attempt to impose the GFO ideas on any reasoner
    that I have anything to do with. (BTW, there are
    good engineering reasons for this declaration,
    not just philosophical distaste. Though in fact I
    also believe that philosophical distaste is quite
    a sufficient reason in itself.)

    Pat

    PS sorry if you are wondering why a casual remark
    has stirred up such a hornets nest. I do have
    have rather strong feelings about attempts to
    impose a 'correct' ontological framework, and
    react rather strongly to assumptions that any
    such 'basic' framework should be accepted,
    particularly on any kind of philosophical
    authority. If there ever were a profession which
    is least likely to understand the way that world
    is actually constructed - which , after all, is
    the original meaning of 'ontology' - then
    philosopher would be a good candidate. Having
    been a philosopher (for a while), I am left with
    a deep-seated, almost religious, conviction that
    almost all philosophy is either in fact logic, or
    else is bad philosophy.  Certainly I will claim
    it as an objective, verifiable fact that any
    nontrivial philosophical claim has been disputed
    by some other philosopher, and that nothing is
    ever settled. Philosophy, unlike science, does
    not make progress: it does not accrue knowledge,
    but simply invents new arguments.

    >-Gerd

    IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
    FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell