SWRL (FOL) n-ary relations

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 12/07/04

    To ground our discussions about n-ary relations, I propose that we use
    several examples based on the W3C SWBPD note on n-ary relations [1].

    The specific examples are

      If a subject has a diagnosis with HIGH probability, the subject has the
    disease.

      Given a Purchase, the buyer owns the object.

    A SWRL encoding of these rules (executable using SweetRules following a few
    corrections to the published diagnosis.owl) is attached.

    It might also be desirable to have an example where the conclusion involves
    an n-ary relation.

    A possible n-ary encoding for the has_diagnosis relation would be to use 1
    fixed argument (subject) and 2 slotted arguments and for the Purchase
    relation to use 5 slotted arguments.  Note that the has_diagnosis relation
    is primarily centered around a property, while the Purchase relation is
    centered around a class - other encodings are also possible.  Note also that
    both relations are intended to allow unspecified values (the slots are
    functional).  Can we come up with an n-ary representation that's significant
    simpler or otherwise better than the unary/binary SWRL representation?

    	Mike

    [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/