RE: SWR/ RuleML rule names

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 07/20/04

    Hi Harold and all,

    At 06:28 PM 7/19/2004 -0400, Boley, Harold wrote:
    > > > This is a prime reason why in RuleML
    > > > the rule label is an ind (and in the courteous extension more
    > > > generally an ind or cterm) child of the label, rather than
    > > > just a URI href.
    > >
    > > [Better don't use this RulerML jargon ("ind" and "cterm") in
    > > a public discussion - others are not familiar with these
    > > abbreviations.]
    >
    >I guess you changed the subject line "SWRL RuleML Suggestion" to
    >"SWR/ RuleML rule names", both containing "RuleML". I think it is
    >OK if an email with subject line xyz uses xyz jargon.
    >
    > > There may be some confusion here coming from the use of "ind"
    > > that does not stand for "individual" but for "individual
    > > constant", which is a name and not an individual.
    >
    >Looking at markup such as <ind>abc</ind>, it should be clear that
    >"abc" is the name.
    >
    >RuleML also allows general terms as labels for rules and rulebases.
    >
    >In particular, a complex term (cterm) that is non-ground permits
    >parameterized access to a rule via instantiations of its label. Cf.:
    >http://projects.semwebcentral.org/pipermail/forum-flogic/2004-June/000002.ht
    >ml
    >
    >Similarly, rulebases (i.e., rule modules) can be parameterized. Cf.
    >TRIPLE models/modules: http://icec.net/download/Triple_Presentation.pdf
    >
    > > Again: the rule is the individual, and its label is its name
    > > but not another individual.
    >
    >How does this rule-as-individual view transfer to a parameterized rule
    >labeled by a non-ground cterm?

    In case of non-ground label cterm, the label cterm should mention only
    variables appearing in the rule body/head part,
    and each instantiation of the label cterm names the corresponding (set of)
    instance(s) of the rule.
    This is useful for prioritization, provenance, etc.

    Benjamin

    >-- Harold

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof