RE: SWR/ RuleML rule names

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@mit.edu)
Date: 07/19/04

    Hi Gerd and all,

    At 09:07 PM 7/15/2004 +0200, Wagner, G.R. wrote:
    >I don't understand why a rule label should be different from a URIref.
    >After all, a rule label is nothing else as the name of a rule, and in
    >the SW a rule should be considered a resource like a class or a
    >property, so it should be identified with the help of a URIref,
    >and it would be preferable to reuse "rdf:ID" as its identifier
    >attribute name instead of the "ruleml:_rlab" element name.
    >
    >Please let's be economic with introducing new names. We don't
    >need new identifier attribute names for each new SW language.
    >We can simply reuse "rdf:ID" and "rdf:resource".
    >
    >Btw, I don't think it makes sense to consider a rule name an
    >(OWL) individual. The rule is the individual, and its name
    >is the name of this individual, but why should we consider it
    >to be an indivual itself?

    It's useful to have the rule label be an individual (or more generally a
    term) in the language,
    so that rules can talk about its relative prioritization, membership in
    modules, provenance, etc.
    This is a prime reason why in RuleML
    the rule label is an ind (and in the courteous extension more generally an
    ind or cterm) child of the label, rather than just a URI href.
    This was discussed in detail at the time the design was made.
    I think this rationale still applies.

    Benjamin

    >-Gerd

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof