RE: XML syntax for SWRL

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ihmc.us)
Date: 06/24/04

    >This is no big deal. E.g.:
    >
    ><var>the net income per year</var>     could have been
    ><var name="the net income per year"/>
    >
    >But when designing RuleML, we wanted to minimize the use of XML attributes.

    Can you tell me WHY you wanted to so minimize this use? I ask because
    there seem to be strongly held opinions about how 'best' to write
    XML, including using no attributes, using attributes as far as
    possible, using attributes with URLs to maximize future
    extendability, using striped syntax, most emphatically not using
    striped syntax, etc, etc.. None of this strikes me as wholly
    rational, frankly: it sounds like arguing over what is the proper
    color to paint a kitchen. But if y'all can give a good objective
    reason why you decided to adopt this style rule in RuleML, or if you
    can relate it to a clearly stateable goal or design criterion, I'd
    very much like to hear about it.

    Thanks

    Pat

    >Since <http://www.ruleml.org/indtd.html> we have uniformly used the PCDATA
    >content, rather than CDATA attribute values, as names of ind(ividual)s,
    >var(iable)s, etc. This has also left us the option of embedded XHTML etc.
    >
    >-- Harold

    IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
    FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell