SWRL to CLIPS/JESS implementation experience

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 03/23/04

    I've been working recently on implementing translations from a set of data
    source ontologies to a domain ontology using SWRL with builtins and CLIPS
    (the resulting CLIPS rules should also work with JESS).  I'm currently using
    a simple XSLT stylesheet (attached) to translate a subset of SWRL, updating
    work [1] that I'd previously done with RuleML.  Here's some initial
    feedback:

    1) The SWRL 0.5 documents don't identify the namespaces for swrlx or ruleml
    - they should.  swrl.rdf and swrl.owl currently use
    http://www.w3.org/2003/11/swrl for both swrl and ruleml.  It would be
    desirable to also reserve http://www.w3.org/2003/11/swrlx and
    http://www.w3.org/2003/11/swrlo (or http://www.w3.org/2004/03/swrlo
    corresponding to the SWRL 0.6 update).

    2) We should include some complete example files using the XML Concrete
    Syntax in SWRL 0.6.

    3) CLIPS rules must be named.  It would seem reasonable to be able to name
    SWRL rules by adding an optional owlx:name or ruleml:name attribute to
    ruleml:imp.

    4) A simpler technique for generating a new node (compared to Example 5.1-4)
    could be to define a new operation like swrlo:generateURI (from Common Lisp
    gensym) that takes an optional template URI and generates a blank node or
    URI reference.

    	Mike

    [1] http://www.daml.org/2001/02/gedcom-ruleml/