my notes from today's JC telecon 1/3/04

From: Benjamin Grosof (bgrosof@MIT.EDU)
Date: 01/13/04

    % notes from 01/13/04 Joint Committee telecon
    % by Benjamin Grosof

    participants:

    Mike Dean
    Benjamin Grosof
    Peter Patel-Schneider
    Harold Boley
    Said Tabet
    Ian Horrocks
    Deborah McGuinness
    Sandro Hawke

    Said presented list of builtins from the document in his msg of
    earlier today.

    important distinction:  side-effect-free vs. side-effect-ful

    do we want solely to focus in our discussions on side-effect-free?

    declarative vs. programming language uses of rules

    Benj:
    SWRL as it stands (because of existential/disjunctive expressiveness)
    can extend nicely to side-effect-free but not to side-effect-ful

    consensus:  let's focus on side-effect-free for now

    right now, Said's document does not fully partition the particular built-ins
    that way; problematic are  set()   and some of the "other built-ins",
    e.g., stream I/O, etc.
    in group at end of document

    suggestion:  let's modify the list to be all side-effect-free

    concatenate-type built-ins -- view as non-destructive, i.e., pure truth
    predicate

    Mike:
    we probably want to define actual argument signatures level of detail for these
    built-ins

    Sandro:
    issue:
    directionality of requiring some arguments to be bound as inputs

    Benj:
    yes, we discussed this on previous calls,
    e.g., in mid-Dec., i.e., binding requirements (cf. situated logic programs):

    Harold:
    or sometimes in literature these are called "modes".

    Ian:
    would like this to leave/define/treat this as an implementation level issue;
    let's have a minimal set of builtins required of implementers, with additional
    being optional

    Benj:
    let's factor it from the rest of the language, but provide a standardized
    way to at least declare such restrictions;
    it's very useful and important to do so because of ubiquity of such
    restrictions in practice

    Ian:
    but don't want to build it into the semantics of the language;
    it would be hard to be clean semantically, since would be quite
    dependent on implementation specific details

    Benj:
    agree, that's what I proposed as well in our earlier discussion of this.
    Though with suitable restriction, one can make completeness etc. semantic
    guarantees -- as has been studied in LP and DB literatures.

    Harold:
    issue:
    if call to get date/time from the operating systems

    Mike:
    XQuery handles this via:  yields same result whenever it's called;
    this has had some success, and seems a nice approach.

    Peter:
    I like this approach.

    Benj:
    I like this approach, it's similar to the explicit assumption in the
    situated LP semantics:
    no changes are made/accepted during the inferencing *episode*
    to the virtual knowledge base that is accessed by the builtins/sensors.
    We could call this "snapshot" or "static at episode grain" property.
    This issue goes far beyond just date/time (which obviously always
    is changing), e.g., whether a lookedup-via-builtin
    phone-number or airline database is updated
    during inferencing episode

    Ian:
    can view this as an environment variable;
    what not just assert it as a fact explicitly beforehand into the local
    rule/knowledge base

    Benj:
    because:  it's impractical and inconvenient, in many cases; rather,
    can have a processing mechanism enforce such static-ness,
    as is done in many distributed processing software applications today;
    in short that seems to me too strong a restriction

    Ian:
    Still it could be convenient to declare some info as imported rather
    than dynamically/changingly looked-up.

    Harold:
    could call this "pragma".

    Benj:
    also we need to beware that can be pretty inefficient

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

    agenda and actions for next week:

    Said to edit/update the builtins document to identify side-effect-free
    ones, and give more details about datatypes
    - Ian:  we will need to give various properties about including equality
    and less-than and Top, so we can view modularly

    all to look at Sheila's msg querying about how to do situation calculus
    - Benj:  in past, seems nonmon is needed for reasoning about action
        in DAML-S and SWSL (from his discussions with those committees and Sheila)

    Mike:  "operation atom" to go into the SWRL document?

    Prof. Benjamin Grosof
    Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
    XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
    MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
    http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof